Friday 6 September 2013

Review: Poison

Poison 
Author: 

Publication Date: March 12th 2013        
Publisher: Disney Hyperion


Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?



Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Mohr, two girls became best friends- Princess Ariana, future Queen, though from ill health does not meet many new people and is confined to her room, and Kyra, first year potion apprentice, and through her talents helps sneak Princess Ariana out undetected. Now at 16, one has to kill the other.

Kyra, one of three Master Trio of Potioners, must do what she has to do to save the Kingdom, and the only way of securing the future-is to kill the future ruler. By poison, their future, and Mohr will be safe. She's a sure hit, it should be easy- as easy as killing your best friend can be, the poisoned dart was thrown...
And missed.
Kyra never misses.
Having no choice but to run, her only thought being when she will get the chance to finish what she started, she had no intention of picking up a few things on the way, but has them trailing after her nonetheless.  S cute little pig named Rosie, Langley, a dachshund called Langley that takes a shine to her and Fred, the gorgeous, brown haired owner.

I'll admit, the cover drew me in. Yup. I'm a cover judger.
Anyway, I enjoyed Poison  perfectly fine. The world building was effective and rich, the characters were developed,  and funny, but lacked a little emotion.

There was just something about it that didn't catch me.
Maybe it's really just not my type of read, the same goes for Chantress, because I liked the characters, it just didn't hold my attention.

But unlike Chantress, I did like the characters.
Kyra was a serious contender, she was funny though a little impatient in the beginning, though under the circumstances you know why, but she was determined and no matter how awful her mission would end, she sucked it up, knowing that despite never knowing what she would do for the Kingdom, that she'd be imprisoned and killed, she knew she had to do it. She was a little insecure? No, not that. She wasn't insecure, she was afraid of herself, of what lay within her, she was sure what she had to do, of what would happen if she didn't. She was scared of that, too. Though she was no damsel in distress, despite needing help with some things...she was a little stubborn. Very stubborn, and not quick to trust. Which, is very wise, if you ask me. She's also a badass with potions and uh, poison.

Ariana, was a little too flimsy for me, and still acted like the little naive kid we saw flashes of. There wasn't a lot of her, until towards the end, so she didn't annoy me as much as she probably would have. I liked her friendship she had with Kyra, but since she was supposed to be a future ruler- she had no loyalty to her Kingdom at all.
Fred, ah, sweet Fred. The-save-the-day-prince-charming. Well, this prince charming kind of fell on his ass.   He brought some characteristics to the plate, and wormed his way into Kyra's heart. Now, he was loyal, and I loved how he acted with the animals. Sometimes I couldn't believe how trusting and naive he could be, though I guess he wasn't as naive as I thought.

Is it bad to say I loved the animals more than the actual characters?
Because I did, I like animals more than I like people. They're uncomplicated, just like Rosie and Langley, and they have their own little quirks and sentimentality.

What I loved most about poison was how it was written, or mainly how it was perceived, I mean, the whole time I was reading it, I hate this voice over in my head- you know the type, all floaty and fairy-tale, it really took you on an adventure and felt like a fairy-tale. It was kept me reading. But I really hate being in the dark when there's not much going on to distract you. Yes, we knew Kyra had to kill Ariana to save the Kingdom, we knew she tried, but we didn't know why for a while.
It was a light, quick, fun read that takes you on an adventure nonetheless.


 Rating: 3.5/5